200k Calendared Bike Ride

200k Calendared Bike Ride

Today was the day for the ePA Rando’s monthly rando ride. It was to start in downtown Delaware Water Gap in Pennsylvania just across the Delaware River from NJ. Start time was 7:30 AM, which is kind of late for these rides. So the entire ride was to be done in daylight. No lights required on the bike. I wasn’t particularly feeling ready for the ride since I haven’t felt up to doing any bike rides all week after doing my 600k ride in Massachusetts last week. But I’m committed to completeing the ePA R12 Challenge (one of these rides put on by ePA each month of the year), and this one has to get done in order for me to meet the challenge.

I started off riding with the lead group for the first 15 minutes of the ride. No way was I going to keep up for more than that. Soon I was caught by Rudi, Rudi, and Greg. Two of these guys had been my teammates in the ePA fleche run earlier in the year. They dropped me before the second controle, but we met up again at controle 2. I left the controle before they did, but they caught me just before controle 3. I seem to ride better alone since I can monitor my pace to my ability better that way. No speeding up to stay with others, or backing off to stay with them.

I departed the third controle before my buddies again, and arrived at the fourth controle before them. They arrived at controle 4 before I departed. Also present at controle 4 with me was the other Rudi, Andrew M, and Sean B. The other Rudi and I left before the others, and I soon fell off Rudi’s pace. Andrew M caught me soon thereafter, and then Sean B. They both passed by me easily. I was in “let’s just finish” mode. My two fleche teammates then caught me and we rode together a bit before they passed me by. We were all together at controle 5, the last controle before the finish. I stayed put for a bit to try and regroup/rest. Just as I was departing out the parking lot Althea pulled in.

I walked the big hill on Old Mine Road, but otherwise I just plodded along to the finish. I stopped just before crossing the river back to PA to help Greg with a flat tire that had sidelined him. When I saw he’d be able to make it back I left him. He arrived at the finish a minute behind me. CLICK HERE to see the preliminary results for the ride. Click on the image below to see the route at RWGPS.

This entry was posted in Blog Ramblings, Ride Recaps. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to 200k Calendared Bike Ride

  1. Alex V says:

    Very surprised to read that recap. I was sure you rode with Althea Pineda all the way and waited a minute to avoid arriving together. So I didn’t have a chance to talk to you. How was the MA 600K?

    • Good to hear from you. And glad to see you rode well yesterday. I was curious why you finished so close to Chris M, Gavin B, and Jimmy A, but not with them. You didn’t have another mechanical, did you?

      I saw Althea just twice on the ride. We never rode together. I saw here as I was leaving Controle 5 alone. And I saw her while I was walking with Rudi M up that steep pothole-filled climb on Old Mine Road. She climbed it in the saddle, and while riding by she said we should take up a collection to have the road repaired. I was surprised to see she only arrived at the finish a minute ahead of me, because I had stopped on the I-80 bridge for 10 minutes to help Greg F with his flat tire.

      The MA 600k went well considering I had pretty much stopped training for such an event a month and a half prior. I’m going to have to start riding more (and regular) if I am to take on that 1200k in October. I plan to do so, but talk is cheap. As you know I have trouble with elevation gains, and that ride had 19,000 feet of climbing. Somehow I managed to finish it in just over 36 hours. Not too bad. Didn’t know anyone on that ride when it started. Everyone was so friendly. The sleepover was in a couples’ house on the western edge of Massachusetts almost in NY.

      • Alex V says:

        I rode alone for the most part. On every serious hill they would drop me, but I was always able to catch them on flats later on. After the Promised Land I caught them in Eldred to get dropped immediately again, and then I caught up with them on the streets of Port Jervis. Stayed with Jimmy A on Old Mine rd climb (Chris and Gavin were faster) and then I got a stomach problem and had to stop a few miles before the I-80 bridge . Have not seen anybody else.

        39/25, sandals and Old Mine climb just do not mix well together. I should have walked, that might have saved some time.

        I am planning to attend the Taste of NC but i checked a few days back and they have not yet posted the route

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.